16/18 U Girls Softball (High School)
Fast-Pitch Softball ages 16 - 18
16/18U - Girls 15-18 girls continue the progression of competitive play and division includes area High School teams. 17 & 18 y/o players are not eligible for All-Stars and are prohibited from pitching. All-Stars begin at the State level and through winning may advance to the Regional, and the “World Series” tournaments. Practice begins Saturdays in April and games begin second week in May and run thru the end of June, teams play a 12 game regular season schedule (6 weeknight double headers).
CYBSA softball teams play all of their games in the SE Denver Babe Ruth Softball league with teams comprised from SE Denver, Englewood H.S., CYBSA, Parker, T.J. High School, Sheridan H.S., Overland H.S. St. Mary's Academy and others. SE Denver softball schedules all softball games and hires the umpires.
16/18U Supplemental Rules
2016 SOUTHEAST DENVER SOFTBALL LEAGUE RULES
- All players at the game bat in their correct order. If a player arrives late, then that player is added at the end of the batting order. If a player has to leave the game, due to injury, then that location in the batting order is skipped and no scorekeeping action, including an out, is recorded. If the player leaves for any other non-related reason, such as another athletic event, then the player’s location in the batting order will be recorded as an out.
- In the 14U Division teams have the option of using a maximum of ten players in the field; with the tenth player located a minimum of 15 feet behind (toward the outfield side of) the baseline. In the 16U/18U Division, the maximum number of defensive players in the field is nine. Coaches are strongly encouraged to place players at different defensive positions throughout the game. Minimum number of players is eight with an out being recorded for the 9th batter, each time that turn at bat arises. If anytime during the game, a team has less than the minimum number of players (eight), and then the game is declared a forfeit. OPTIONAL: If there is no other game waiting to be played and if both coaches agree, the game may continue until time has expired; however, the official score is recorded as a forfeit.
- Regulation games will be a maximum of seven innings, except in the case of extra innings due to a tie game at the end of the regulation game. In the event of adverse weather conditions, an official game will be 5 innings (4 ½ innings if the home team is ahead). Games, which have not advanced to the point of being an official game, and are halted due to weather are considered suspended games and will be completed at the designated makeup time and will commence from the point the game was suspended. Make up games due to weather will be made up on the next available day up to and including the following Saturday. Make up games will be rescheduled by the scheduler at any available location within the league. Designated home and visitors shall remain as originally scheduled regardless of the location of the rescheduled venue.
- Base distances: 60 feet; pitching distance: 43 feet for 14U, 16U and 18U.
- Any player, who catches, including warming up a pitcher, must wear a mask. On deck batters, who warm up in the field of play, shall be “behind” the player at bat. When a right handed batter is up to bat, the on deck batter shall be in the on deck batter’s area on the third base side and when a left handed batter is up to bat, the on deck batter shall be in the on deck batter’s area on the first base side.
- All players must wear league-approved jersey to participate in the game, unless authorized otherwise by the League Director.
- There will be no pitching restrictions on number of innings pitched by any one pitcher in a single game or day. The league encourages coaches to use more than one pitcher per game in order to develop the pitchers; however, it is not required to use more than one pitcher per game. All other Babe Ruth Xtreme Fastpitch Softball pitching regulations shall apply.
On a dropped third strike, when the catcher drops the ball, the batter may advance to first base in accordance with Babe Ruth League Softball rules.
- The league has a contractual agreement with an umpire service to provide one umpire per game for the 14U age division and two umpires for the High School Division (16U/18U).
- Only the head coach or an assistant coach appointed by the head coach will be permitted to "discuss" situations with the umpire(s). The HEAD COACH IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SPORTSMANSHIP CONDUCT OF HIS/HER PLAYERS, ASSISTANT COACH(ES), PARENTS, FANS AND SELF. All adults need to be reminded from time to time that they are present to teach and provide good examples to the players; and to properly conduct themselves.
- Runners on base cannot leave any base until the ball leaves the pitchers hand and is pitched towards home plate. A runner leaving a base prior to that time shall be called out by the umpire, "no pitch" is declared and the ball is dead.
- Balls and strikes and calls on the bases by umpires are judgment calls and cannot be appealed.
- No more than SIX (6) runs may be scored in any 1/2 inning per team at bat. When the game time has expired and the visitors are ahead by more than six (6) runs, the game is over. OPTIONAL: If there is no other game waiting to be played and if both coaches agree, the home team may complete their at bats; however, the official score is what it is when the time has expired as indicated above.
- For double header games, no new inning shall start after one hour and thirty minutes of play have elapsed from the beginning of the game, except for extra innings as required to complete the game due to a tie game at the end of regulation. The coaches should hustle their players in and out of the dugout between innings to move the game along. For single games, no new inning shall start after one hour and thirty minutes of play have elapsed from the beginning of the game, except for extra innings as required to complete the game due to a tie game at the end of regulation. A double header game is defined as any two consecutive games at the same field location on the same date between the same two teams, including makeups.
- IMPORTANT!! Each team shall maintain scorebooks, provided by the league. Player’s first and last names, as well as jersey numbers, are required. The scorebooks will be returned to the League Director following the end of the season, to be used for the All-Star team’s credentials.
- Each league team (Castle Rock, Centennial, Englewood, Lakewood, Parker, and SE Denver) shall coordinate with their League Representative regarding the collecting of bases and the pitching rubber upon completion of the game. For games at SE Denver fields, the SE Denver team shall be responsible for collecting the bases and pitching rubber and properly placing them in the "SEDBL" storage box upon completion of the game.
- The head coach of the winning team shall notify the League Director, as soon as possible after the completion of the game, the game results. Failure to report the score in a timely manner could result in the winning team forfeiting their win.
- A double elimination end of the season tournament will be held following the end of the regular season, with all regular season teams qualifying to participate. Tournament seeding will be based on how each team finishes during the regular season. Individual awards will be given to players from the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place teams following the completion of the championship game.
- Offensive players shall make every reasonable effort to avoid contact at 2nd and 3rd base and home plate if a play may potentially be made at the respective base. Defensive players may not block the plate if there is not going to be a play. This is a judgment call by the umpires. Clarification shall be made between the umpire and the coaches at the coaches’ conference prior to each game. Coaches are highly encouraged to “teach” their players to slide.
- With the exception of those rules indicated herein, the current Babe Ruth Xtreme Fastpitch Softball rules will be followed. Please note the Babe Ruth rules and regulations, paragraph 8.02, require the pitcher's first step to be forward toward home plate, NOT BACKWARD. The pitcher may "rock" backward as long as both feet remain in contact with the pitching rubber prior to stepping forward and releasing the ball. Violation of this rule constitutes an "illegal pitch". The consequences for an illegal pitch result in a 1) the pitch declared a "dead ball", 2) a "ball" being awarded to the batter, and 3) any base runners are allowed to advance one base without liability to be put out.
- Offensive players shall make every reasonable effort to avoid contact with the defensive players at 2nd and 3rd base and home plate if a play may potentially be made at the respective base. Defensive players may not block the plate if there is not going to be a play. This is a judgment call by the umpires. Clarification shall be made between the umpire and the coaches at the coaches’ conference prior to each game. Coaches are strongly encouraged to teach the players on the proper techniques for sliding.
- If there are not enough League Age 17 and 18 year old players to form a separate 18U team, then any 17 or 18 year old player will be allowed to play on a league 16U team, provided they have not graduated from high school, i.e. they must be going into their senior year of high school. There are no innings per pitcher, per game restrictions, for pitching. [Note: if there are any 17 or 18 year old players, they will be chartered with Babe Ruth as an 18U team. Those 17 and/or 18 year old players will only be eligible for the 18U All Star team, which was approved by the Board for the 2012 season.
- Player Fill-in Policy. See the separate document indicating use of fill-in players.
- Games requiring to be made up or continued due to inclement weather shall be rescheduled by the league representatives and league administrator, based on available game fields the week following the postponement. Coaches will not reschedule games between themselves without the approval of the league officials. Once the game is ‘postponed’ coaches may ‘suggest’ potential make up dates to the league administrator; however, no guarantees will be made. Coaches shall make every attempt to have a sufficient number of players, including use of players per the ‘fill-in’ policy, for the rescheduled game.
NEW for 2016
- Courtesy runner. In the event of an injured player while on offense, who needs to come out of the game, the offensive team may use a ‘courtesy runner’. The courtesy runner will be the player who made the last out in the offensive team’s lineup. If a courtesy runner is used, the injured player for whom the courtesy runner was inserted may NOT re-enter the game. When the injured player’s spot in the lineup comes up to bat, the batting position is skipped; there is no penalty to the offensive team for skipping the injured player.
- A courtesy runner may be used for the catcher; the courtesy runner shall be the player who made the last out in the offensive team’s lineup. The courtesy runner cannot be used for the catcher more than once per inning.