CYBSA Lightning Policy
Player Safety above all else
This policy is in place for the safety of our children. Please help us to enforce these safety guidelines. It is the responsibility of ALL coaches and parents to demand compliance with the CYBSA Lightning Safety Policy.
- Practices and games are suspended when/if lightning is detected within 10 miles of playing field.
- If lightning strikes within 10 miles of playing field, ALL PLAYERS and FAMILIES must EXIT the fields and dugouts immediately and wait in their cars until the danger passes. Waiting out the delay in the dugout is strictly prohibited.
- When onsite league official will direct coaches and parents, if league official is not onsite the responsibility falls to the coaches then parents.
- Don't wait for someone else to tell you to clear the field, if lightning is within 10 miles clear the field and go to your car.
- Players must remain in their car for 30 minutes from the time of the lightning strike, if another strike occurs the 30 minute clock starts over. When lightning delay reaches 45 minutes, game will be suspended and made up/played another day.
- If lightning does not strike again after 30 minutes "all clear" can be given and practice/game may resume.
- The lightning detector at Village greens give one long blast to clear the fields and three short blasts for all clear, players must wait for all clear before returning to field.
- Coaches who willfully disregard the CYBSA lightning safety policy will be subject to disciplinary action.
NO youth baseball or softball game is worth the risking of player's lives!
CYBSA recommends downloading Weather Bug to help monitor lightning.WeatherBug is a free weather app with real time lightning tracker.